The Committee created a list of principles in a number of subject areas, then established related positions to be used as the foundation of the Council’s public policy efforts in 2023. In some cases, the positions will advance through development and advocacy of legislation that will be introduced during the Arizona Legislature’s 2023 session. In other instances, the positions will be used on an ongoing basis as regulators or legislators add new regulations, legislation or changes to pertinent existing regulations or laws. At all stages, the Committee will be engaged in various efforts to advance the position of Arizona’s technology companies. The following principles and positions will aid elected officials and other stakeholders at all levels of government and business as they craft legislation and policies that will affect Arizonans and the Arizona economy for years to come.
ARIZONA TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL STATE LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES 2023
- Support economic development programs that have proven to work for Arizona. Maintain and fund programs that support manufacturing; encourage research and development; support high-quality, high-paying jobs; and incentivize innovation.
- Consistently, equitably and sustainably fund the state’s P-20 education system, including pre-K, K-12, career and technical education district (CTED) programs, postsecondary programs, and access to advanced, rigorous coursework such as advanced placement and dual enrollment courses.
- Look for opportunities to cultivate a diverse, equitable, inclusive and statewide science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) ecosystem.
- Seek opportunities and measure their progress to positively impact the diversity, equity and inclusion of the workforce and its leadership, and granting equitable access to essential services (e.g., broadband, transportation, employment, education opportunities).
- Work collaboratively with both the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) and the Legislature to advance energy policy that encourages demand-side adoption of energy efficiency, prioritizes clean and renewable energy use, invests in electric vehicle infrastructure development and supports innovation in the industry.