Public Policy + Advocacy
The Arizona Technology Council is the principal advocate for science- and technology-based companies in Arizona.
Through the collective strength of its members, the Council informs and educates policymakers on issues that are important to Arizona’s technology sectors.
The Council continuously monitors federal, state and local legislation and policies that impact the sustainability and growth of Arizona’s technology industry. From the U.S. Congress and the Office of the Governor to legislative committee rooms and city halls across the state, the Council serves as the voice advocating for a technology-based, pro-growth and business-focused agenda.
2022 Public Policy Guide
In creating the 2022 PUBLIC POLICY GUIDE, the Council and its Public Policy Committee relied heavily on the Council’s mission by preparing key ideas, goals and legislative initiatives to:
- Improve the business climate for technology-based companies.
- Provide sources of risk capital that encourage entrepreneurship, with a focus on minority entrepreneurship.
- Create an environment that supports science- and technology-related job retention and creation.
- Attract, train, retrain and retain the diverse talent required to compete in a global innovation economy.
- Support Arizona businesses in their journey to becoming more diverse, equitable and inclusive.
- Help ensure technology companies not only recover from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, but thrive.
The Committee created a list of principles in a number of subject areas, then established related positions to be used as the foundation of the Council’s public policy efforts in 2022. In some cases, the positions will advance through development and advocacy of legislation that will be introduced during the Arizona Legislature’s 2022 session. In other instances, the positions will be used on an ongoing basis as regulators or legislators add new regulations, legislation or changes to pertinent existing regulations or laws. At all stages, the Committee will be engaged in various efforts to advance the position of Arizona’s technology companies. The following principles and positions will aid elected officials and other stakeholders at all levels of government and business as they craft legislation and policies that will affect Arizonans and the Arizona economy for years to come.
ARIZONA TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL STATE LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES 2022
- Look for opportunities to cultivate a diverse, equitable and statewide science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) ecosystem.
- Consistently, equitably and sustainably fund the state’s P-20 education system, including pre-K, K-12, career and technical education district (CTED), postsecondary programs, and access to advanced, rigorous coursework such as advanced placement and dual enrollment courses.
- Support efforts in seeking opportunities to positively impact the diversity, equity and inclusion of the workforce and its leadership, and granting equitable access to essential services (e.g., broadband, transportation, employment, education opportunities).
- Work collaboratively with both the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) and the Legislature to advance energy policy that encourages demand-side adoption of energy efficiency, prioritizes clean and renewable energy use, invests in electric vehicle infrastructure development and supports innovation in the industry.
- Support economic development programs that have proven to work for Arizona. Maintain and fund programs that support manufacturing; encourage research and development; support high-quality, high-paying jobs; and incentivize innovation.
View or download the current and previous versions of the Council’s Public Policy Guide here: