TUCSON Saturday Special! UA Underground Mining Tour and Steak Grill
Presented by University of Arizona’s Department of Mining & Geological Engineering and Arizona Mining
Southern Arizona is known worldwide for its mining expertise. Our region leads the U.S. in non-fuel mineral production (based on value) and our mining technology hub is led by the UA’s Department of Mining & Geological Engineering.
This special UA Mining Day provides a unique experience to learn about our region’s position as a global mining leader including:
- Underground Mine Tours: Single level or deep mine tours of the Henry G. “Hank” Grundstedt San Xavier Underground Mining Laboratory, a unique teaching and research facility.
- Ground tour of Komatsu’s Proving Grounds.
- UA Mining Programs: Overview of the UA MGE’s newest educational, research, and tech transfer initiatives, including an introduction to the new Caterpillar Mining 360 Executive Mining Program.
- Mining in Southern Arizona: An overview of history, active mining operations, future technologies and trends, industry challenges and innovative solutions.
Tour Options: 1-hour deep mine tour limited to 4 groups of 10 people per group OR 20-minute single-level tour limited to groups of 20.
We’ll end the day with a barbeque lunch where you can connect with UA mining faculty and students, mining industry executives and your technology peers.
Registration will be limited to attendees High School age and up as protective gear will need to be worn.
Since 1888, the University of Arizona’s Department of Mining and Geological Engineering has been the only university-level program in the state providing education and research programs devoted to minerals engineering and the science and engineering of nonrenewable resources. Our mission is to provide lifelong learning, service, leadership, and new knowledge of engineering and scientific principles applied to earth systems for the purpose of discovery and sustainable development of nonrenewable resources, conversion of mineral resources into usable materials, safe construction of structures on and in the earth, and in situ characterization of volumes of earth materials with invasive and non-invasive techniques.
Register Today! Attendance is limited!
Bus pick-up and drop-off location is across from Mercado San Agustin (West Congress at Avenue del Convento).
100 South Avenida Del Convento
Tucson, AZ 85745
Saturday April 28, 2018
9:00AM to 2:00PM SHARP 9:15AM departure
- Cost: $25 for Council members; $50 for non-members
Need More Information?
If you need more information about this event, please complete the fields below.
DO NOT USE FOR REGISTRATION. To register for this event, please click on the "Register" button above.