Renewable energy is a powerful solution to restoring economic security at a time when residents need it most. That is why Arizona must get on a fast track toward modernizing our energy rules. Renewable energy is the answer to moving toward a cleaner, more prosperous and healthy future.
The Arizona utility company has set a bold goal to provide 100% clean, carbon-free electricity to customers by 2050. The goal includes a nearer-term 2030 target of achieving a resource mix that is 65% clean energy, with 45% of its generation portfolio coming from renewable energy.
Google pledges to be carbon free, Northern Arizona University is awarded $1.5 million grant for climate-change research, Zero Mass Water is now SOURCE Global PBC, Tesla outlines ambition to halve cost of batteries, why Lucid’s CEO thinks the Air will be a success, Footprint is named to FORTUNE’s 2020 Change the World List, and more. Check out the complete update.
Building on a strong tradition of commitment to shaping a sustainable future for all humankind through innovation, ASU’s Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory will encompass a new college with three unique schools, as well as a major research institute and a practice arm devoted to solutions, each significantly enhanced by and integrated with global partnerships.
The National Science Foundation has awarded Northern Arizona University a four-year, $1.5 million grant to examine survival strategies that natural systems might use to respond to the combined effects of environmental change and invasive species. The research effort is a collaboration among investigators at NAU, the Desert Botanical Garden and Arizona State University.
Tucson Electric Power promotes EV charging program for businesses, learn which of America’s colleges and universities are leading the transition to a 100% renewable energy system, Tucson-based SOLON Corporation has been recognized by Solar Power World magazine, Tempe-based Persefoni launches technology to help companies document their carbon emissions, Arizona energy giant Salt River Project provides free trees to be more energy-efficient, Electrify America develops cross-country EV charging infrastructure, and more.
Innovative companies, agencies and cities are playing a significant role in enabling the growth of Arizona’s transportation electrification market and electric-vehicle charging infrastructure. A distinguished panel of experts from the Nikola Motors Company, Silicon Foundry, Exponent and the City of Peoria, Ariz. discussed the economic development benefits and infrastructure challenges of increased adoption of electric vehicles, as well as how the growth of the electrification market and EV-charging infrastructure can play a role in Arizona’s economic recovery plan for the state. Moderated by Dominic Papa, Arizona Commerce Authority’s vice president of Smart State Initiative, it was a fantastic discussion and well worth a listen.
An open letter to the Arizona Corporation Commission expressing support for strong, enforceable clean energy standards in Arizona: As major businesses, trade associations, employers and large energy consumers in Arizona, a distinguished group of Arizona business and technology companies are committed to increasing the use of renewable energy and energy efficiency in the state.
Arizona Corporation Commission’s proposal calls for at least 50% renewables by 2035. Staff of the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) on Thursday proposed a 100% Clean Energy Standard by 2050, a new integrated resource planning (IRP) process and other rule changes as part of the state’s efforts to modernize electricity regulation. The proposal includes a “technology neutral” all-source request for proposal (RFP) process where utilities solicit bids from market participants to address resource needs.
Apple unveiled its plan to become carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030. In its 2020 Environmental Progress Report, Apple details its plans to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030 while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its comprehensive footprint.