Like many of us working during these uncertain times, you may find yourself with extra time on your hands while working from home, furloughed, caring for loved ones, or looking for new career opportunities. For those of you interested in making a career switch to the tech sector, Apprenti remains open for business.
Although we expect strong demand for 2020 apprenticeships, the current public health situation means that much of this activity will take place later in the year. While you wait for opportunities to interview with us, here are some free or low-cost options to help get you started:
Not sure what you want to do next?
The Skills to Succeed Academy is Accenture’s free online learning program that helps people build skills and confidence to plan their careers, get a job, and be successful in employment. Browse the options on our home page https://s2sacademy.org, and register using access code 04ZZ04. There are around 40 modules to choose from, most between 30 and 60 minutes.
Out of school a while?
Consider starting with Coursera’s short course, “Learning How to Learn” (12 hours; free audit option available with all Coursera courses)
Apprenti’s key Seattle-area partner, TLG Learning, has produced a free 45-minute webinar on how to use Microsoft Teams, plus discounted additional training. Visit their Apprenti Resources page for more information.
New to tech?
- Computer science: Programming Fundamentals (Coursera courses all offer either a free audit or paid certificate of completion, 15 hours)
- Databases: SQL Bootcamp (Udemy, 20 hours, enrollment fee required)
- Databases (free): Learn SQL (Codecademy, 7 hours)
- Networking: Bits and Bytes of Networking (Coursera, 25 hours)
- Cloud computing: Cloud Computing Concepts, Part I (Coursera, 40 hours)
- Systems and IT administration: IT Infrastructure Services (Coursera, 20 hours)
- Cybersecurity: Intro to Cyber Attacks (Coursera, 15 hours)
Want a deeper dive?
IT Foundations by CompTIA, Apprenti’s primary partner for tech infrastructure learning. CompTIA is offering this 30-day online program for free (normally $179).
Python for Everybody, Coursera specialization for software development covering around 180 hours of content (you may pay to earn a certificate of completion or audit the courses for free).
These training programs will help you understand which career path is right for you, and if you’re selected by an Apprenti employer, will make it easier to keep up with our fast-paced classroom training during your apprenticeship. Please visit apprenticareers.org for updated options as we post them, and to apply for an apprenticeship when you’re ready!