Arizona is a beautiful place to live. Together, we can keep it that way. And Arizona Public Service (APS) committed to doing its part.
The Arizona utility company has set a bold goal to provide 100% clean, carbon-free electricity to customers by 2050. The goal includes a nearer-term 2030 target of achieving a resource mix that is 65% clean energy, with 45% of its generation portfolio coming from renewable energy. In addition, APS will end all coal-fired generation by 2031, seven years sooner than previously projected. The company’s clean-energy plan will be guided by sound science and focused on achieving environmental and economic gains—all while maintaining affordable, reliable service for our customers.
“We see incredible things ahead for Arizona, and are excited to power our state’s future with electricity that is 100 percent clean,” said APS Chairman and CEO Jeff Guldner. “We’re starting from an energy mix that is 50 percent clean today, including energy efficiency and electricity from one of the nation’s largest solar fleets and the country’s most powerful carbon-free and clean energy resource – the Palo Verde Generating Station.
On the journey to a carbon-free future, APS plans to ensure reliability and affordability through intelligent investments in renewable resources and developing technologies, nuclear power produced at Palo Verde Generating Station and energy efficiency and other programs for customers. Achieving this 100 percent clean goal while maintaining reliability of service at affordable rates for customers also will rely on:
- Existing power sources in the near term, including some natural gas, as APS makes a sensible transition to clean generating resources. In time, APS expects technological advances to eliminate the need to supplement renewable energy with even low-emitting carbon resources like natural gas in order to maintain reliable service around the clock at reasonable prices.
- Continued modernization of the electric grid as APS builds an advanced infrastructure that is more responsive and resilient, supports more renewables, minimizes outages and provides customers more choice and control over their energy decisions.
- Energy storage solutions to increase the effectiveness of renewable resources and provide more clean energy to customers after the sun has set. These will include APS’s previously announced plans for an 850-megawatt expansion of large-scale energy storage, mostly paired with the company’s innovative solar farms.
- Policy decisions that leverage market-based technology and innovation and keep Arizona and its utility industry an attractive place to invest.
- Electrification of the state’s different economic sectors, particularly the transportation sector and specific building applications. In addition to supporting affordability for utility customers, electrification will drive a cleaner environment and more energy-efficient operations throughout the economy.
- Evolving regional and market-based solutions such as participation in the Western Energy Imbalance Market, which is saving customers tens of millions of dollars each year.
The benefits of a 100% clean-power portfolio will include helping customers achieve their own sustainability goals and attracting more employers to Arizona who want to be served fully by carbon-free resources at a reasonable cost and without compromising reliability.
Visit www.aps.com/cleanenergy to learn more.